$95 + $80 Materials
Whether you're a sewing newbie who wants to dive in head first or an experienced stitcher brushing up on their skills in one fell swoop, this workshop is an essential!
This workshop includes 3 of our Intro to Sewing classes, packed into an all day intensive- in just a few hours, you'll leave with two amazing bags made by you and sewing knowledge pouring out of your ears!
Discover how to set up a sewing machine, then we're off to the races, making two of the most versatile bags in the world: Our classic Portsmith tote with envelope base and the Woodland Dopp Kit, a classic shape that will take you far in sewing projects! Plus, lucky you: the price includes those two maker kits at wholesale!
Sewing Level: Absolute Beginner/Beginner
Absolutely no prior sewing experience is required.
- Threading a sewing machine & wind a bobbin
-Operating your sewing machine with confidence
- Learning what all the knobs + buttons mean on your machine
- Understanding how & when to use different key presser feet
- Discovering essential sewing tools
- Sewing with heavyweight fabrics
- Sewing an envelope base
- Attaching leather straps with metal hardware
- Constructing a bag
Woodland Dopp Kit
- Sewing zippers
- Inserting a liner into a pouch or bag with zipper closure
- Boxing corners
- Attaching leather with quick-set rivets
What To Expect
Part 1 - Sewing 101: Get a thorough introduction to the sewing machine! Learn the ins-& outs of your sewing machine such as: Threading your machine, winding the bobbin, switching presser feet, and so much more!
Part 2 - Portsmith Tote: This tote was designed with YOU in mind— It’s a completely beginner-friendly bag with an amazing pay-off. Not only will you go home with a tote you made with your own two hands, you'll also learn indispensable bag sewing tips for handling heavy-weight fabric & learn how to attach leather handles!
Part 2.5 - Lunch Break!
Part 3 - Wildwood Dopp Kit: You will learn zipper sewing techniques for the beginning stitcher. You will learn how to sew zippers, insert a liner, and use quick-set metal rivets to create your beautiful & utilitarian pouch that has a million uses!
As a gift to our students for being so awesome, all Maker Kits are included in the price of class! Details below.
- Waxed canvas outside & bottom fabric (various colors available)
- Real leather straps (3 colors available)
- Metal quick-set rivets: (4 finishes available)
- Full PDF of pattern + instructions
Woodland Dopp Kit
- Waxed canvas outside fabric
- #12 natural canvas liner
- Brass zipper
- Leather zipper pull with metal rivet
- Leather handles with metal rivets