Functional + sleek, The Overlook is your superwoman utility belt disguised as a fashion-forward tote. Made by you bragging rights!
During this all-day intensive workshop, intermediate stitchers (also suitable for advanced beginners) become bag-sewing experts and leave with a sleek, utilitarian, custom-designed tote. The first part of the workshop includes a design lab, where you'll get the low down on functional considerations and customize the features that matter most to you. Then we'll break for lunch. Students will then cut their bag out of their fabric color of choice, then get to sewing! As a finishing touch, we'll choose our leather straps color and hardware colors in classic Klum House fashion.
Due to this being a custom-build class, the list price does not include an Overlook Maker Kit. Students will pay for materials after the design lab portion of class.
- Bag design
- Pattern drafting
- Sewing zippers
- Attaching hardware
- Cutting, prep and layout
- Sewing pockets
- Sewing liners
- Custom design by you!
- 2 outside pockets & 1 inside pocket
- 10 oz waxed canvas exterior
- 12 oz natural canvas liner
- Real leather straps
- Metal Hardware & D-Ring for keys
- 10.5" Tall x 11" wide (at bottom) x 5" deep
- Price of class includes access to a 4-hour open-studio session outside of class.
- All fabric plus custom leather straps and hardware are wholesale pricing!
What To Expect
Part 1 - Customize your bag during our design lab, then shop for materials!
Part 1.5 - Lunch Break!
Part 2 - Design & cut your fabric and straps, then get an intro to bag sewing and begin your bag!
Part 3 - Put the finishing touches on your badass bag with custom hardware then voila! You have a chic do-it-all tote with made by you with bragging rights.
Overlook Maker Kits
You will get the chance to buy all hardware, leather, and fabric during class at the Klum Shop in order to curate a unique kit for the custom Overlook Bag that YOU designed. If you want to make the Overlook bag exactly as we originally designed it, you may purchase a standard Overlook Maker Kit in class. As a gift to our students for being so awesome, all fabric plus custom leather straps and hardware are wholesale pricing! Details below.
Standard Maker Kit - $60
- (2) Fat Quarter Waxed Canvas
- (1) Fat Quarter 12oz Duck Canvas
- (1) 14" Brass Zipper
- (16) Metal Quick-set Rivets
- (2) Leather Handles
- (1) Leather Cross-Body Strap
- (3) D-Rings
- (1) Leather Zipper Pull
- (2) Klum House Labels
A La Carte Materials
- Waxed Canvas Fat Quarter (18” x 30”): $10
- Waxed Canvas Fat Eight (18” x 15”): $5
- 12oz Canvas Fat Quarter (18” x 30”): $6.50
- Brass Zipper (12"- 16"): $5
- Metal Quick-set Rivet: $0.25/ea
- Leather Handles (16" x 3/4"): $12/pair
- Leather Cross-Body Strap (40" x 3/4"): $12
- Leather Shoulder Straps (28" x 3/4"): $12/pair
- D-Ring (3/4"): $0.50/ea
- Leather Zipper Pull: FREE
- Klum House Label: FREE
You are invited to work in our studio!
If you need a little extra time to complete your custom bag, you are invited to attend an Open Studio Session for FREE anytime within the month after class. One full session allows you to work in the studio for up to 4 hours one given day with a sewing mentor on-hand and is valued at $50. Session includes use of machines & tools.
Klum House Workshop serves as a collaborative sewing studio, where a small group of professional artists and makers share skills and make product for their creative businesses. We are excited to open up our collaborative sewing studio to you & future sewing students because we also have a dedication to furthering the craft of sewing and sharing our skills to help aspiring designers and creators get their start.
- You will have access to our Singer Heavy Duty home sewing machines.
- The studio includes a 8' x 6' cutting table & all the necessary sewing tools.
- Bring any specialty tools & materials you might need.
View all tools + machines.