Spend an afternoon making handcrafted goods while building boss leather working skills! These four projects make perfect personalized handmade gifts!
Learn how to work leather by hand stitching, machine sewing, stamping, pressing, branding, and other leather-working techniques in this dynamic workshop. In this 4 hour class, students will complete three different leather projects: A personalized leather key holder, with brass tag, a card holder, and a wallet. We will be hand sewing + machine sewing leather, leather & metal stamping, branding the leather, and using the industrial snap press.
Leave class with a handout listing all the tools you need to do your own leather projects at home, as well as all patterns for projects made in class. You will also leave empowered to tackle your own leather goods projects.
- Wallet: Complete a vegetable tanned leather wallet by hand sewing with waxed linen thread. Customize it with leather stamps!
- Card Holder: Complete a black leather card holder using a sewing machine and industrial snap press. Measurements: 3 7/8" x 8 3/8"
- Personalized Key Holder with Custom Brass Tag: Make a black or brown leather key holder with stamped initials. Complete with a custom brass tag stamped with whatever message you want!
- Leather Tray: Make a versatile tray for your keys & small items out of scrap leather! Personalize it by embossing a message or your initials.
- Sewing leather on a sewing machine
- Hand sewing leather with a saddle stitch + wax thread
- Using an awl on leather
- Leather stamping
- Adding snaps to leather with an industrial snap press
- How to use a leather brand (Klum House Logo)
- Step-by-step process of hand-stitching leather
- How to use the industrial snap press
- How to stamp metal
What to Expect
Part 1 - Leather Pouch with Snap Closure: We will be machine sewing garment weight leather(1.5-2.5 oz) leather for the leather pouch with a snap.
Part 2 - Leather Wallet: We will be hand stitching 4/5 oz vegetable tanned natural leather for the wallets.
Part 3 - Leather Key Holder with Custom Brass Tag: Stamp custom letters into your black or brown leather key holder & use the industrial snap press to add a brass snap. You will have the option to stamp a personal message into a brass metal tag to put on your key holder.Part 4 - Leather Tray: Constructing this versatile leather tray is fast & easy! Customize it with leather stamps.
Receive discounts on leather + supplies at Oregon Leather once you've completed the workshop.
What to Bring
- We provide all machines, tools & materials
- Please indicate during checkout if you are bringing your own sewing machine. You may bring your own sewing machine as long as it is in working order & you know how to use it.
- We suggest bringing a closed-top water bottle to hydrate during class.
As a gift to our students for being so awesome, all Maker Kits are included in the price of class! Details below.
- Vegetable Tanned Leather cut & ready to assemble
- 2 leather hand sewing needles
- Waxed thread
- Hand stitching awls
- Line #24 metal snap
Leather Pouch with Snap Closure
- Garment weight leather (1.5-2.5 oz): Cut & ready to assemble
- Line #24 metal snap
Leather Key Holder with Custom Brass Tag
- Solid brass + durable hardware
- Quality leather
- Solid brass tag
- Key ring
- Vegetable tanned leather cut to size
- 4 metal quick-set brads
Make or Buy
Don't live in the Portland Area, but still want to make this leather wallet yourself? Consider a Newell Leather Wallet Maker Kit. Comes with all leather cut out, prepped, and ready to sew. Shop Maker Kits.