Oberlin Tote Pattern
Oberlin Tote Pattern
The Oberlin combines rugged function with sleek style. Simple modern construction and minimal tools make this the perfect bag for an advanced beginner stitcher.
Get ready to learn sweet sewing skills, gain confidence, and create an Oberlin Tote with "I made this!" bragging rights. Designed by Ellie Lum, a bag maker & teacher with over 20 years experience making sewing accessible for stitchers of all levels. Pattern includes 40 pages of illustrated instructions with links to online tutorials & optional online companion class. You’ll be sewing like a boss in no time!
- Version 1: Fabric Straps & Version 2: Leather Straps
- Interior zipper pocket, 4 external pockets, reinforced base, and a magnetic snap closure. Can be made on a home sewing machine with fabric of your choosing.
- Dimensions: 11.5"W x 13"H x 5"D
- Skill Level: Beginner/Intermediate
- Production Time: 4-6 hours
- 40 pgs easy-to-follow & clear illustrated instructions
- Full pattern
- Links to video & photo tutorials
© Klum House 2017-2018. For individual use only. For commercial production, please purchase a Limited Use License.
Take a look inside!
Here's a preview of our easy-to-read Oberlin pattern instructions. Check out pgs 1 - 11 of our 40-page illustrated instruction booklet.
This bag can be crafted on a home sewing machine with the fabric of your choosing. Our favorite fabric to use is durable water-resistant waxed canvas. Make it easy on yourself by purchasing maker kits that accompany this pattern: They come with all the fabric, leather straps, and hardware you need to make this bag. Cut, marked, and ready to sew!
Supplies & Tools
- 1 Yard Fabric: For main body, interior pocket, base layer & straps. Medium-heavy weight textile such as canvas, waxed canvas, or denim.
- 1/3 Yard Fabric: For exterior pockets & interior pocket trim. Medium weight fabric, such as waxed canvas, Japanese cotton, linen, denim, etc.
- Version 1 (Fabric Straps) Notions: 8" metal zipper, 6" x 6" scrap of light-weight leather, magnetic snap.
- Version 2 (Leather Straps) Notions: Medium-weight leather strapping (28" x 3/4"), 8 metal rivets, 8" metal zipper, magnetic snap.
- Tools: Denim needles, all-purpose thread, Scissors, optional leather needles, optional Edge-stitch presser foot, optional leather drive punch
"I love your Oberlin tote bag and pattern. I think your pattern is so very well written ... one of the best ever! Your instructions are complete, understandable and the construction is so clever. What a pleasure to make the tote bag ... thank you!"
—Pam Raby, Loved To Pieces Quilting Shop
Portland, Or Workshops
Online Companion Class
Online Skillshare companion class only $0.99! Intro To Sewing: Custom Leather + Canvas Tote Bag And Machine 101. Register here!